Sunday, December 20, 2009

Masquerade.


Tonight was a masquerade party honoring one of my friend's 40th birthday. The party was at Le Passage in the Triangle, beginning at 10pm. I don't like the Triangle and I certainly don't like starting at 10pm. I'm too old for that. In college, if I went out before 11, it was "so early." But, I'm 30 now and if I stay out past 10 its notable. But it wasn't my birthday. I decided to make the most of it.

I'm not the best with make-up. I wanted to do something more fun than usual -- it was a masquerade after all -- and for that, I needed help. As my drag queens were unavailable, I made an appointment at a makeup counter at Nordstrom. The girl kept warning me it would look like a lot of makeup (because it was) but I didn't care. From there, it was off to Theory to kill time until it was closer to party time. As we were walking and watching football, we got quite a few looks, including some disapproving mothers. We took that as a sign of mission accomplished.

We got to the club on-time. There is nothing worse than hosting a party and waiting for guests to make their entrance, fashionably late. The place was so empty at first that the only people there besides our group were two tranvestites. I'd call them drag queens but that would be an insult to the craft with the bad wig, clothing choices and the like. Maybe they were drag queen wannabes, judging by the dance moves. One was wearing wedge boots. I'm pretty sure that's training wheels for transvestites, easing into heels. Anyway, the night was fun and I think our birthday girl really enjoyed herself. Especially a video Heather made, collecting clips from our British birthday girl's family across the pond.

The only negative for me was around 3 am when I swear that I saw the ghosts of Christmas future. It was about five Real Housewife-looking, divorcee-looking, cougar-looking women dancing around, trying to attract some male attention. I know that doesn't sound bad but it was just so awful to watch. Women don't become That Guy at the bar. They turn into Those Women. My friends, Heather and Todd, witnessed the ghosts too. As a couple, they didn't have the same reaction but totally understood mine and offered to put me out of my misery if I ever became anything like that. That's what I call good friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment