Saturday, December 19, 2009

Goodwill Hunting.

As I was growing up, my mother always dictated that if I had not worn something in a year, I needed to donate it. Its a good rule of thumb for me. I usually wear things to death so if I haven't worn them in awhile, its unlikely that I will be wearing it in the future. Its a habit that stuck with me even after moving out and my mom could no longer forcibly enforce it. So every six months or so, I clean out my closet and gather my goodwill pile. Unfortunately, I've lately suffered from execution issues -- actually getting the bags to goodwill to donate. In past years, I've been so lazy, I have actually donated the bags when I was in Wisconsin because I was going to be in the car anyway and knew where the place was.

After five years, I really have no excuse though. In anticipation of my mom spending more time in Chicago in 2010, I decided to clean out my guest closet, aka the place where my goodwill pile lives. My delay in donating meant that I had 7 rather full bags to donate. After taking a bag every day when I went to the car, I was finally ready to take it to the store. Google did the hunting for me. And, would you believe, a Goodwill store is just a few blocks from one of my friend's places. Now, I feel even worse for letting it collect so long. But, better late than never, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment