Saturday, December 5, 2009

Being charitable.


This morning was the Jingle Bell Run, a 5K run/walk benefitting the Arthritis Foundation. I organized a team to do the walk and raise some money for the Arthritis Foundation. I woke up to see 20 degrees and flurries. Given that I am still not 100%, this was not ideal. But, it was my obligation and I was driving the bus this morning, stopping to pick up Laura, Missy and Heather on the way to the Field Museum, so there was no option to just stay in bed. As the girls said, they must love me because I don't think any of us, including me, had nice thoughts about me and my Jingle Bell Run idea this morning. But, we put on our Santa hats, had some coffee (thanks to Missy) and away we went.

For the record, I think that for an event benefitting people with arthritis, a run in December is just mean. Running and cold both aggravate my arthritis. I've said it before but my favorite thing about having arthritis is that it gives me an excuse not to do something I've always hated anyway. We decided that a better benefit for arthritis would be a spa day or bingo or something. Anything but a run in the cold.

This is the second charity walk that this group of girls has done together. And, this is the second charity walk that we have messed up the course. We are charitable cheaters. But not intentionally. We are smart women but we just can't seem to get it right. We are fast walkers and good chatters. Its a dangerous combination for actually following a course. Instead of a 5K, we probably ended up doing a 3K.

We were done by 8:45 am, in time for spin class. After dropping off one of my teammates, I was heading to the gym with the rest of the girls. By the time we got to the gym, we were convinced that breakfast would be a much better idea than spin. We walked over to Grand Lux Cafe, had ourselves some breakfast cocktails and omlets and continued our chatting and joking.

To call it a workout this morning, would be very charitable. To call it a good time, would be an understatement.

No comments:

Post a Comment