Monday, September 7, 2009

These Kids These Days.

I'm a fan of at least two reality shows: So You Think You Can Dance ("SYTYCD" or "SYT") and America's Best Dance Crew ("ABDC"). There is overlap between the participants on the two shows and they are a different format and audience. Nonetheless, the common factor is that some of these people are just incredible dancers.

I spent part of today catching up on the entire season of ABDC. The show features crews, or dance groups. This season, among others, there is an all-girl group that are known for popping (not like my knees do), a bunch of boy breakers from Seattle (my favs), a co-ed latin-dance crew, and an openly, and perhaps aggressively, gay group that are voguers. The last episode was the annual "dance craze challenge." The groups are given a current dance craze and have to incorporate it into their style and choreography while still being creative and innovative in their own style. Always fun.

This time, the episode only made me realize how out of touch with the youth I am. Of the five songs, I had only heard of one ("You're a Jerk"). And, I didn't realize that there was a dance to go with any of them. I had never heard of the surf swag, the jerk, the stanky leg, the Ricky-Bobby, or the Halle Berry (song name the same as the dance name). So much for my backup career making mix CDs for Now That's What I Call Music. Turn 30, become out of touch with the kids.

Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment