Monday, September 14, 2009

Anniversary.

Tomorrow is the one year anniversary of the Lehman Brothers' bankruptcy. I was hanging out with my friend Gym tonight and saw that CNBC is calling it "ONE YEAR: The Week that Shook the World." A tad melodramatic, no? To be fair, it was a helluva week in the financial world one year ago that marked the public recognition of the recession: there was the bailout of Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae, the failure of Lehman Brothers, the bailout of AIG, and Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley became bank holding companies. And, the economy's swan dive was complete.

I remember the week in relative clarity. I was in Colorado for my mom's birthday on September 12th. It was also the day that the case that I had been on for three years settled. My dad and I spent a good part of the weekend checking marketwatch.com to see if Lehman was going to get a deal done with Bank of America or Barclays. The odd thing is, I have an awful memory. I can't remember my childhood, high school is just a few distinct memories, and even college is starting to blur. That I would remember a specific weekend from a year ago is remarkable.

Of course, it may help that I've spent the last seven months investigating why Lehman went bankrupt. I have a chronology of the week of September 8-15, 2008 at the front of my mind these days. To celebrate the one year anniversary, I am going to New York to do an interview for the investigation.

No comments:

Post a Comment