Thursday, September 3, 2009

ID(entity) Crisis.

I've lived in my apartment for over five years. I've walked or driven by one particular corner hundreds of times. It isn't one of my normal routes to work, but road construction caused me to take it this morning. I noted as I drove by that there was a CPD paddy wagon parked on the street in front of Dunkin Donuts. I turned right. On red. Apparently, illegally. I've never noticed any signs though, not once in five years.

The paddy wagon pulled me over. It took them over 15 minutes to write the ticket. When the officer returned to hand me my ticket, he did not hand me my license back. Chicago's crafty way of ensuring that people pay their tickets is by keeping their license until they get their money. Any other day, I would have gone with the officer to post bond and keep my license. But, of course, today I had to be in court. Better to give up your license than be late for a judge. So now, I have to mail payment and wait for them to mail my license back.

I'm not optimistic for a speedy return of my license between the lack of speed in the clerk's office and the Chicago post office, renowned for its slowness. For the next week weeks, I guess I will be a domestic woman of mystery, using my passport as identification. So long as I can get on a plane and get a drink, who needs a driver's license? Not this girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment