Thursday, September 17, 2009

Dinner and a Show.

Tonight I was a seat-filler at a dinner for a professional organization. Normally, I hate these things. But, two things made me excited for the dinner: (1) the professional organization are my potential clients and/or employers; and, (2) the speakers were Judge Ann Williams and Mary Matalin/James Carville.

Judge Williams was being honored with the Thurgood Marshall Award. Her acceptance speech was so good it made me want to be her clerk, or manicurist or dog walker just to be someone who gets to spend time with her. She seems like an incredible woman AND has an incredible sense of style.

The Matalin-Carville show is what you'd expect and I enjoyed it, even though I've seen it before. They clearly have a schtick but it works for them -- its very endearing. I'm more familiar with Carville than Matalin. I was fascinated by how for such a small framed woman, Matalin's hands were gigantic. I was equally fascinated by their perspective, to be fair to myself.

I actually walked away from the dreaded work event feeling lucky to have been invited. Stranger things have happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment