Sunday, September 13, 2009

Give and Get.

This Saturday was a charitable day for me. I started the morning at the inaugural CureSearch walk, which raised money to support research for a cure for pediatric cancer. I've actually never done a walk before, even though so many charities do them. You name a charity, and they have a walk in the Chicago area. Including the Arthritis Foundation, which I always think is just mean given my personal experience with arthritis. Depending on the day, walking can be pretty high up on the "Last things I want to do" list.

But, of course, its not mean, its a nice way to raise money for a cause or in honor of someone suffering from whatever affliction. However, the concept of a walk reminds me of back in middle school when you'd raise money by getting people to sponsor you per lap on a track. But a walk really isn't much of a challenge physically for most people of any basic fitness level. Prior to Saturday, I always thought you might as well just donate the money and skip the walk part. I have to say though, there is something about being there. The opening ceremony might be too long, the DJ might be so awful you're actually embarassed for him, and people might walk too slowly but when you have a balloon release representing the children lost to cancer with the accompanying, "I will remember you" being sung, it makes for a worthwhile morning. Actually makes me tear up to think about and I have been fortunate enough not to know any child suffering with cancer. (I have lost a grandfather to it though.)
After the walk, my charity took a break for football. The Michigan-Notre Dame was an instant classic. As an added bonus, Theory had the Texas game available too. I had to do a little colorful commentary on my Hook 'Ems play in the first half but they must have heard me at the half, because they picked things up in the second half and cruised to a comfortable 41-10 win. Not nearly as exciting as Mich-ND which went long and helped me be slightly late to my fundraiser. Man, I love college football.

The Arthritis Foundation Associate Board had its annual Shindig Saturday evening. Normally, its on the fancier side, but this time it was at Zella's, which is not one of my favorite places but is outstanding in how it works with charities. It was a fun event, and really well-attended. My great group of friends all came out, bought raffle tickets, and even were willing to use their own connections to help promote an upcoming Arthritis event. Keeping with an apparent tradition, once again, one of my friends was a winner of the most sought after raffle packages. Being charitable comes back to you, they say, although I don't think they often mean by winning a night at the Ritz.

No comments:

Post a Comment