Saturday, June 5, 2010

New Leaf?

The new place may have resulted in a new leaf.

As I mentioned, moving to a new place changed my sleep habits. Now, I have both the knees and bedtime of an 80 year old woman. I like sleeping in so I will be sad if I have premanently lost that ability but I'm confident its not completely lost.

More dramatic of a change is that I actually make the occasional, simple dinner. Actually, that's an exaggeration in two ways. First, its a collaborative effort. Melissa and I have been dividing the labor. Second, our dinners have so far been a salad and some grilled proteins. I generally take the grilling responsibilities and I have to admit that I have a lot to learn and significant room for improvement. Melissa's salads have been generally awesome. The southwest salad and the strawberry and goat cheese salad have been my two favorites.

For the first time, today, I went to the grocery store with a cookbook in hand to get ingredients. Tomorrow's dinner will be a feast, at least for us. Marianade from hand, lots of veggies, angel food cake for dessert. At the grocer, I was suckered into buying a bottle of pinot noir by name alone: Fat Bastard, a "surprisingly full-bodied wine."

On another new leaf note, I went to the hardware store today to buy a paintbrush and a drop cloth. I am actually re-painting a lamp. Its super simple and WAY cheaper than paying someone, especially as I have a closet full of paint. I primed the lamp this afternoon and hope to have it painted tomorrow. Not a huge project but more domestic than I've been in maybe ever.

Martha Stewart I'm not but maybe a baby step or two is being taken towards domestic skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment