Sunday, November 29, 2009

Thankful.

Thanksgiving was probably the nicest overall holiday with my family in years-- and I don't even particularly like Thanksgiving!
As usual, my brother was late, unless his definition of mid-morning actually means 11:15. However, we are used to his late ways so it gave us time to make a gratin and have a morning cocktail before his arrival. And, as usual, he made an entrance. This time, accompanying him was his boyfriend, a friend who is staying with them for awhile after a breakup, and their combined total of three dogs.

Our brunch of mimosas, gratin, grapefruit and kringle (all home-made) induced four food comas. Every male in the house was knocked out for the next two-to-four hours. In the meantime, my mom and I cooked up a storm. Despite what some people think, I'm actually quite a decent cook and a rather wonderful sous chef as I love to dice and chop and always clean up as I go. By the time everyone woke up, our dinner was essentially done. And, dinner was amazing. My mom has always been a good cook but in the 12 years since I left for college, she has morphed into a great cook who puts out restaurant-quality food. [N.B. Gym and I are going to have to have a friend-aissance upon my return. Mom has been feeding me so well.] After gorging themselves and stocking up with leftovers, my brother, boyfriend and friend left. Not one argument or snide comment was made by me for once -- my tongue had bite marks but apparently, everyone but my tongue appreciated my discretion.

In short, I'm thankful for: a great holiday with my family; delicious food cooked by mom; persuading my mom that she needs to take next semester off to recover her health; getting to hang out with my dad for five days straight; and, my friends who I miss and am looking forward to sipping prosecco with upon my return.

No comments:

Post a Comment