Sunday, November 29, 2009

Drama Drag.

Friday night was the last Friday of the month. And, at a certain club in Denver, that means its Drama Drag night. Drama Drag is hosted by the loca, Nina Flowers. Nina was the runner-up on RuPaul's Drag Race, the search for America's Next Drag Superstar. At my brother's suggestion, I watched all of the episodes thanks to the magic of the internets and Nina was my favorite. Actually, Nina Flowers scares me but her alter-ego Jorge was a sweetheart.
As it turns out, my brother is friends with Nina/Jorge because his boyfriend does drag too. Joel's drag name was originally Juicy Mai Tai (my belief was he should have called himself Flaming Dr. Pepper and got it over with if he wanted to go with drink names). He has since switched his drag name a couple of times. Its currently Angelina SX. Both Joel and our other Thanksgiving guest, Walter/Kiera, were performing on Friday at 11:30 pm.

So, Friday evening, my mom, cousin and I headed down to Denver. My brother's best friend from high school and his wife were meeting us there. They got lost as they went to a club by the same name. They realized they were in the wrong place when everything was too straight. We were holding down a good spot on the dance floor near the stage. But, as it got closer to show time, we got pushed around a bit and out of our spot to a slightly less advantageous spot. I did not pack anything for going to a club, but my reasoning for that was born out -- not a single person there was interested in me. I was surrounded by sweaty, occasionally half-naked men who could not be less-interested in me so my jeans and t-shirt were perfectly appropriate.

The show itself was great. Unfortunately, my camera was less-so as I only had my blackberry camera for most of the show. I'm hoping to get better pictures emailed to me. Nina can definitely work a crowd. Both of my Thanksgiving guests did a great job. They also are both better at makeup and hair than I am. Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment