Sunday, October 4, 2009

Finery.

This weekend I got dressed up to attend the Arthritis Foundation's annual gala. I usually go to one or two black tie events per year. I usually find black tie events to be just kind of "eh" as far as ways to spend an evening. But, I was really looking forward to attending this event for two reasons.

First, I love my dress. I've worn it a few times already but I love that it's both comfortable and pretty. Its a rare find in shades of blue. For fun, I got my nails did (yes, did) in a navy blue. Perhaps not the most professional color but I've always had a love of funky nail colors, going back to high school where I'd paint my nails a different color every day -- yellow, bright blue, green, hot pink, you name it, I'd wear it, except for black.

Second, this time as my "date." I was bringing my friend, Laura. She is a natural at these events. Actually, its basically her job. I love watching her work. Its incredible. I've seen her speak and now I've seen her in action. She has a book coming out in February on the networking power of social events. I need to pre-order it because she is a master. And, best of all, she actually enjoys these events.
Coincidentally, her sister and my friend, Andrea, was invited to a gala for the Chicago Symphony Orchestra on Saturday as well. Her "date" was our friend Heather. The Trump girls were dressing up on Saturday. We normally see each other in sweats and sweating but we do clean up nicely. Post-Galas, we planned to meet for some bubbly, as is only fitting when Heather and I are involved.

The gala was really fun. The food wasn't bad. Laura made friends with our server who rewarded her friendship with extra polenta, a special fruit and cookies plate that no one else was offered. We danced to a pretty good band. It was a good time. And so was meeting up with our girls later. As one of my male friends pointed out, we are pretty lucky that we can bring a friend to a black tie event and not have anyone give it a second thought. Its not quite as easy for guys. Chalk one up for the ladies!

No comments:

Post a Comment