Friday, October 9, 2009

Liver Functional.

Ever have one of those days where you just want to get drunk? Bad day at work? Feeling blue? Frustrated? Whatever the reason?

When I was younger, I didn't understand the lyrics from the Barenaked Ladies song "Alcohol." I liked it -- catchy beat and all -- but I did not get it. "Alcohol, alternative to feeling like yourself." But now, I see the wisdom in the words. Well, probably not actually wisdom, but I definitely relate to the lyrics:

"I thought that alcohol was just for those with
Nothing else to do
I thought that drinking just to get drunk
Was a waste of precious booze
But now I know that there's a time
And there's a place where I can choose
To walk the fine line between
Self-control and self-abuse . . ."

Due to my crappy memory, I have trouble deciding if my strong liver is due to pain or stress or something else. Alcohol is a great pain killer. For me, in the most significant part (90% or more), physical pain. I drink more on Fridays, aka shot days, than any other day. My shot of medication runs its course by then so by Friday, I'm usually in the most pain of the week. But, lest we forget, alcohol is a great mental pain killer. Or, at least, duller. As I've said, I think my life is generally pretty great. Definitely room for improvement in certain areas but overall, I enjoy myself. That said, there are days, like today, where I just want a nice buzz to take off the edge. Today, about 6:45 pm, I was unnecessarily thrown under the bus by a colleague and vague friend because he didn't want to accept any responsibility for something that was partially, if not primarily per protocol, his responsibility. I was already thirsty, but after that I was parched.

Being a mostly responsible person, I headed home to the safety of my apartment to get a nice buzz to forget the frustration. Unfortunately, my liver is in better shape than anticipated. On the plus side, at least one part of me is in peak condition apparently . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment