Thursday, October 8, 2009

Pump (it up) kin.

Pumpkin Workout. For some reason, when I read the description in my gym's monthly newsletter, as the monthly featured class, I thought pumpkin carving, pumpkin pie, fun and yum. Man, was I wrong.
As it turns out, pumpkins can be really heavy, especially when you use them in place of a kettle bell for swings, presses and the like. Now, I suppose my muscles could be yelling at me because I did two circuit training classes in one day but really, I think they are mad at the pumpkins. Those bitches get heavy. Quickly. And, can be hazardous. Missy -- while super athletic and talented, tends to be an accident magnet -- almost dropped the largest (20 lbs?) pumpkin on her face when her grip slipped. Thankfully, it landed on her head and no serious damage was done to girl or gourd. Despite the potential for mishap and pain, it was a really good workout. I admit that I am just a little scared of the potential of a Butterball workout in November for so many reasons.

That said, pumpkin workout on a Thursday was nice. While I was tired from a long week, I felt it to be a fun and good workout with the pumpkins mixing it up a bit. And, of course, I enjoyed my post-workout hydration (bubbly splits) and nutrition (yummy salad) with Missy at Theory. It was only too bad that Cathy, Laura and Andrea couldn't join us.

Moral: pumpkins are wonderful in their pie form, woeful as a weight.

No comments:

Post a Comment