Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Lessons Disregarded.

As part of payment of my debt to society -- or at least, that portion of society represented by insurance companies --for making an illegal right turn on red, I spent part of Saturday doing online traffic school. During the course of which, I learned a few things:

1. In Illinois, it is illegal to change lanes within 100 feet of an intersection, coming or going. They must write this rule in extremely fine print based on my observations. It seems like you're lucky when people don't change lanes in the middle of the intersection.

2. A full stop is defined to be your odometer at zero, and your car rocking back and forth. By that definition, I'm not sure I've ever come to a full stop on my own volition at a stop sign. Unless someone is in front of me, fully stopping, I apparently do rolling stops -- I never rock back and forth, even though my odometer is at zero.3. The traffic school recommends that every time you have a green light and proceed through an intersection, you should take your foot off the gas and cover the brake with your foot, so that you are prepared to stop at any moment.
Online traffic school is a good way to avoid a ticket on your record. Unfortunately, the program will not do it at your own speed, and much like in driving, my speed is fast so I was a bit bored. And, while I noted the above lessons and others -- I got 100% -- on my test, I have to admit that I've already disregarded these lessons in favor of not getting in an accident for following all the rules while driving in Chicago.

No comments:

Post a Comment