Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Function Over Fashion.

Today was one of those days that beginning at about 2:00 in the afternoon, all I wanted to do was go home and get in my sweats. I thought about it all afternoon. I left before I was actually finished because I just couldn't take being there and not home and comfortable any longer.

Even in college, I knew that sartorially speaking, the law was not suited to my personal sense of comfort. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a good suit as far as ease of dressing and appearing put together and possibly even chic -- depending on just how good of a suit it is. When I can't think of anything else to wear, I always default to suit because I know it matches. But, I hate wearing suit jackets. I don't particularly find business wear or even business casual comfortable. I always wanted to switch majors with my nursing school friends just for the scrubs. Nothing else about their major appealed to me -- definitely not the sick people -- but man, do I love scrubs. And yet, you will only catch me in sweats in public at the Gym. I don't even wear sweats to work on the weekends.
Beginning in college, and possibly earlier due to my fading memory, the minute I get home, however, I always immediately change into some version of sweats. You will never find me just sitting around in my work clothes, even if my work clothes happen to be jeans. Visit me at home unexpectedly and you're getting an entirely different wardrobe than what I present to the public. In fact, this is so ingrained in me that when I travel for work, I always pack a set of laying around the hotel room clothes. They are as essential as my suit.

Moral of my story: I'm not sure I could have been happier anywhere else in Chicago tonight than on my couch in my sweats, despite the fact that I still had to do some work.

No comments:

Post a Comment