Sunday, July 31, 2011

Trap-easy!

What started as an impulse decision on Friday afternoon became the most anticipated event of the weekend for me. M signed herself, me, and her mom up for a two hour trapeze lesson this afternoon. For some of us, calling it anticipation connotes optimism that was not there. There were several conversations involving possible death and/or paralysis. Not me though. I just thought it would be fun.

It helped that I had watched some videos of what we would be doing but I had no fear of injury, much less death. All I had was anticipation. Honestly, that anticipation did have a tinge of fear when I saw the very tall ladder we had to climb. And, I had a very difficult time putting my second arm on the trapeze. You're leaning out at a thirty degree angle over twenty feet high and all that is holding you is a little tiny girl with her hand on your safety belt. Putting the second arm on the trapeze took a lot of effort over fear.

BUT, once I was flying, IT. WAS. AWESOME. I loved flying. I especially loved swinging upside down, hanging by my knees. I loved the dismount back flip. I loved the catch. When I told my mom about this, she was not surprised. Apparently, I've always loved hanging upside down. And, to this day, I love going to play on the swings. Plus, a lot of the movements reminded me of my long ago synchronized swimming days.

The only negative is that the trapeze is rough on your hands, and strangely, calves. I'm pretty sure all of us are going to have some random soreness tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment