Saturday, July 2, 2011

Pop!

M is doing a training group for an Olympic triathlon. She has done a couple triathlons before but a shorter distance. For the shorter distance, she never did anything that I'd count as "training" -- more like she'd go for a longer bike ride, come to swim class, and occasionally go for a run. Her Saturdays are generally a ride with her training group but because of the 4th, she was on her own. She asked me if I wanted to join her for her scheduled ride and, since the gym canceled classes for the weekend, I was in. We agreed to ride early in the morning because it was supposed to be hot. (And, it was. At one point, it was 92, but felt like 103 per the weather channel.)

We got maybe a mile south when all of the sudden we heard a POP! I thought maybe her tire cap had just come off. As it turns out, she rode over a piece of glass at JUST the right angle that cut through both the inner and outer tube of her tire. At first, she thought lesson learned, I will carry an extra tube and tools in the future. I have not learned that lesson yet. Especially because, even if she had a tube and tools it would not fix the problem -- she had to buy a whole new tire.

However, since we were at Ohio Street beach, we decided to jump in the lake. (We were planning on swimming after the ride anyway.) Mark it down -- July 2 was my first swim in the lake. The park district tells me it was 64 degrees. It really was not bad. I don't know how long it took to swim half a mile but I was not bone-chilled. Especially not after we had to carry her bike back home. Her bike is lighter than mine but it still is cumbersome and awkward on the shoulder so we ended up taking turns. By the time we got home, I was hot again.

The rest of the day was good -- farmer's market, breakfast and mimosas, garden center, ice cream cone, nap, grilled out, and dog walk. Tomorrow morning is take two on the bike ride. Hopefully, the only pop we hear will be from fireworks later in the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment