Saturday, July 23, 2011

A Dark And Stormy Night.

I slept like sh*t last night. Almost literally.

As I keep saying, no one moves here for the weather. Not quite six months ago, thanks to the Groundhog's Day blizzard, people were complaining because of the snow and cold. For the past week, people complained about the heat and humidity. It was five days straight of high 90s, heat indices hovering around 110, and high humidity. Now, we have some extreme thunderstorms. Last night, we received half a foot of rain, apparently a single-day high since they started keeping records in 1871.

As a result of all the rain, the sewage line in my building backed up. It flooded the garage, and slowly made its way up to my third floor bathrooms. Around 1:30, I woke up to this loud splashing noise and awful smell. As the storm raged outside, with each lightening strike or wind gust, the disgusting grew in cadence with the storm. I took this while it was happening:

As I type, I'm waiting on professional cleaners to arrive. (My homeowner's association fees paying a dividend.) Because, it looks like this right now:

Just be thankful I can't insert the smell.

**UPDATE: The cleaners are here and working their magic. However, it seems that I am going to have to replace the carpeting in my bedroom because the sewer water flooded on to it. As M pointed out, I've had a toilet in my bedroom and dining room at various points in this house's life so in the grand scheme, this isn't all that bad. **

1 comment: