Saturday, July 30, 2011

2/3rds.

Today was the South Shore Triathlon, or my case, the South Shore Two Thirdalon. I really hate the term Aquabike, even though that's what my 2/3rds is actually called, so I'm just going to pretend that it does not exist.

M and I were down at 63rd Street beach by 6:00 am. When we went to go pick up our packets on Friday night, the anxiety began to set in. All the triathlfreaks talking about what races they've done, times, nutrition, etc. made me nervous. I felt slightly better when I overheard other people this morning who were worried about a leg of the race or confused about what the swim course actually was. But, only slightly.

Once the swim started, nerves changed to frustration pretty quickly. The swim course was so shallow in parts that you actually could not swim. Where it was deep enough to swim, I did. But, not everyone judged depth the same way so I ended up receiving a few elbows, kicks and/or jumps from others. That said, I think the swim ended up being respectable. The bike was kind of fun. 20K is not quite 13 miles which isn't too far. I passed a few people but definitely got passed by a lot, including M. There's only so fast you can go on a hybrid rocking Chuck Taylors:

I waited for M to do the third leg of the race and then we hit the finish tents. I am pretty sure that today was the first time I've had corn on the cob and a beer before 9:00 am.

Update: I actually won my age group in the 2/3rds. Of course, if M had done the 2/3rds instead of 3/3rds, she would have won the age group. But, whatever, I will take it. I am currently undefeated in my age group -- mind you, last time, I was the only person in my age group.

No comments:

Post a Comment