Friday, August 14, 2009

Good Enough for Government Work.

Some months ago, there was a problem with the water in my building that required the city to dig under part of the sidewalk to reach the water main (or something). The sidewalk remained broken around that area -- covered in sand -- until recently. The rest of the sidewalk around my building was no prize either. In fact, I'd say it was an outright liability and accident waiting to happen.

Apparently, the city agreed with me. In July, they posted signs restricting parking, including access to the garage in which I have a space, for two weeks. During that period, nothing happened -- except me getting two parking tickets as I don't have a permit to park in my own neighborhood (because I don't park on the street). Needless to say, I was not pleased.

In early August, the city re-posted signs restricting parking once again, but this time for three weeks. But this time, they did something -- they completely tore out the sidewalks on Monday surrounding my building and garage. I am now actually even less pleased. For the entire week, there has been no path to enter my apartment that did not involve unstable dirt and rocks. On Wednesday morning, I stepped out my front door, down the much longer step to the ground (amazing what a difference a sidewalk makes in terms of height), and immediately twisted my ankle, falling onto the dirt and rocks. Not an auspicious start to the day. It made me mad enough that I actually wrote my alder(wo)man. Perhaps unsurprisingly, I have not received any response, not even an acknowledgement, of my complaint. Which, was nicely phrased, I promise.

As of tonight, concrete has been poured in front of the garage but we are not allowed to drive on it for the three days. (Not helpful, especially as this weekend is Air and Water Show weekend which means that my neighborhood will be overrun and street parking will be nearly impossible. Guess who isn't driving this weekend as I did manage to find a spot tonight?) And, I still have to take one giant leap for mankind to get out the door.



Good enough for government work, right? Baby steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment