Saturday, August 15, 2009

Covering the Bases.

Today was the day that I was to attend a baseball game without box seats. And, as it turns out, I can still enjoy a game anyway without the endless drinks, snacks and a dessert cart. The key is the company, as with most things. The party had two sets of tickets and I was sitting with two pf my friends, in a the set apart from the bride and bachelorette doings. Today's game was the first portion of the bachelorette party for one of my former co-workers. She is a huge Cubs fan so it was a fitting start. (I couldn't attend the remainder of the day/evening which continued the baseball theme with dinner and four bar stops at which she'd have to round the bases via shots: Irish kiss, buttery nipple, blow job and sex-on-the-beach. Very cute idea in my opinion.)

I'm not a baseball fan. I would rather watch almost any other sport than baseball. It is just too slow for me. However, what I enjoy most about attending a baseball game -- outside of the near-requirement to day-drink -- is that it is the only place that I eat hot dogs. They are too bad for you to eat without a really good reason. And, the reason is that they never taste better than in a ballpark on a sunny day.
One of the stereotypes about Cubs fans is that they don't pay attention to the game. In my very non-scientific opinion from attending a grand total of two games, this stereotype is for a reason. I think that my friend and I paid more attention than the average Cubs fan, in no small part because we were concerned we were going to be brained by all of the foul balls coming our way. Add to the general lack of attention -- I mean, it really is a nice atmosphere to sit, talk and drink -- that today was the first day of the Air and Water Show, and I'm pretty sure that almost no one was watching the game. Guys standing in grass just cannot compete with F-16s doing fly-bys.

Between the Air and Water Show, Cubs game and just generally nice weather, the city was a zoo today. Thankfully, my evening plans were quiet. My friend's parents were in town and homecooked us all (a total of 8) dinner. It was tasty and a delightful evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment