Thursday, September 22, 2011

Welcome, S.

Last week, the littlest Trump Girl made her appearance.   After almost 23 hours of labor, at 10:54 p.m. on September 13, O gave birth to Simone Margaret. 

Unfortunately for me, I had a cold last week so I could not go visit O, J, and S in the hospital.  By the time I was no longer contagious, O was back in the hospital for high blood pressure issues.  Poor girl had a catheter and was drugged up on magnesium for two days, unable to walk around or be with her baby.  It sounded pretty miserable.  Thankfully, everyone is home and healthy now.  The most positive spin I can put on it is that now O has a story (with a happy ending) to scare other pregnant ladies with as she surely heard a zillion herself while pregnant.  

Yesterday, I got to go visit everyone.  S is the first really new baby I've held.  She still has that new person smell.  Her little hand can barely wrap around my finger.  She is an adorable little tamale all swaddled up.  As M said, all the mistakes you've made in life, the things you wish you could do over?  S has none of that.  A perfectly clean slate where her only job right now is to eat and sleep.  And, thankfully, she is not a baby who has trouble achieving her goals, at least during week one.   From what I can see, she is a rockstar at her appointed tasks, especially the sleeping.  The eating seems to be her less favored job -- who can blame her? It gets in the way of her beauty rest and she seems to get rewarded for her efforts with hiccups frequently.  Now, if only her parents can get some sleep too.

No doubt, S will make mistakes going forward.  And, no doubt that O and J will too.  But, it seems like they are all off to a great start, after an initial hiccup (and not just with the eating).

1 comment: