Monday, September 19, 2011

Clothing Amnesia.

A CAbi party is an unusual experience. What is a CAbi party, you might wonder. I know I did. I had never heard of it before about six months ago. A CAbi party is essentially a tupperware party for clothes. (CAbi stands for Carol Anderson by invitation.) The idea of buying clothes out of a person's home was just hard for me to wrap my mind around. I passed on my first invitation to a CAbi party, despite hearing that the clothes were cute. However, when M hosted one, I really had no way to avoid attending, considering she lives two floors above me.

Based on very limited experience, I believe that a good CAbi party involves probably two elements: (1) alcohol and (2) a fun CAbi representative. Part one is easy. Part two may or may not be. Both parties I've attended have involved the same representative and she puts on quite a show. She somehow talks her way through about 50 pieces of clothing, trying on maybe a quarter of them, in about 45 minutes.

After she's done, that's where the unusual experience begins. All of the sudden, it is a free-for-all of women trying on the clothes. At both parties, the attendees were a mix of friends and co-workers. That distinction seems to go out the window, as does one's dignity. Ladies who may intimidate you at the office are suddenly in their underwear, waiting to take the shirt or skirt you just tried on. There must be some sort of immediate clothing amnesia (and/or just locker room mentality) induced by the CAbi clothing so that when you see these same ladies the next week, there is no embarassment.

CAbi: the party where you end up with a buzz and cute clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment