Monday, October 18, 2010

What a Difference (Eight) Days Makes

I arrived in Colorado last Sunday. It was a "family dinner" night, meaning that my brother and his partner and my cousin and her boyfriend were coming to dinner. They do this every two weeks, coinciding with my dad's weekends off. Add me, my mom's cousin, and my brother's friend and that meant dinner for nine. Usually my mom does this with very little assistance from anyone. But last week, she was still essentially sn invalid. Her energy was low, pain level high and she was in a neck brace and arm cast.

Tonight became a family dinner night as it was my last night here. This time, my mom was itching to cook. She probably did about a quarter of it, against orders. She now has the cast off and her stitches removed. She goes for at least two walks each day, totaling about a mile and does a light workout with weights. In contrast, on Tuesday, on her first walk, she barely made it four houses. Nonetheless, she is nervous to be on her own and wishes I could stay.

So do I, in a lot of ways. She is so much better now that it would be more of a fun visit. However, I think I would get too comfortable. I joked a year ago that my furniture would fit nicely in my parents' newly remodeled basement. Now, given remote working, I could stay quite comfortably for awhile, just hanging out. Actually being a part of family dinner rather than feeling not quite part of it.

I would stay if my parents need me but it's time to get back to my Chicago life. Living in my parents' basement while comfortable (and trendy thanks to the economy), can't be my long term plan. Not unless I stocked up on vitamin D and fully embraced becoming an old cat lady. (Cats come with the basement as a bonus.)

No comments:

Post a Comment