Sunday, October 3, 2010

Detours on the Road to Wellness.

I've lived away from my family since I was 18 (returning most summers while I was still in school). Its not because I don't like them. I like my family a lot and try to stay up to date on matters on the Western front. So much so that I think I annoy them by calling frequently.

Over the past two years, my mom has been severe and inexplicable pain. Of course, it would have been explicable had a neurosurgeon bothered to read the MRI she ordered months ago. As it turns out, due to an accident, her spine was being compressed which resulted in a trickle down of awfulness. Thankfully, another neurosurgeon did finally read the MRI and spotted the problem immediately and scheduled her for surgery.

She had the surgery almost two weeks ago. While the fix-the-spine part was successful, my mom is the worst surgery recoverer ever. There were complications that included what appeared to be a heart attack (turns out the hospital overdosed her). But, she made it home safe and sound and things seemed to be getting better. Not content with just one deivation off the road to wellness, she was back in the hospital for a surgery on her wrist, which was swollen badly. It is to be determined what actually caused that.

Being here -- and not there -- has meant that I've been texting and calling Colorado all the time. Its been a weird two weeks, living my life, going to work, working out, and attending events all the while wondering what's going on in Colorado, when the next shoe will drop. All I can say is that I hope that my mom is now on the autobahn to health with no more exits.

No comments:

Post a Comment