Thursday, February 11, 2010

When Life Gives You a Fork . . .

Today I came to a fork in the professional road. While delightful utensils, forks are never particuarly fun to confront. This particular fork threw my entire day off. I suspect it will be a rather anxious week ahead as I determine the route. If only I had a GPS.

However, in the late afternoon, one of my friends stopped by my office to discuss the potential paths. That alone was a much-appreciated gesture. We ended the conversation with her offering to buy me a drink. I originally said, "thanks but no thanks." Twenty minutes later, I changed my mind. I mean, what was I thinking? Silly me.

We were quickly joined by another friend for a drink and a snack at a nearby bar. As they told me, one of the best parts of having girl friends is always having someone there who is willing to raise a glass with you, either to celebrate or commiserate. While we generally specialize in good times -- lord knows, we enjoy raising a glass -- my girls were wonderful today. And, it doesn't hurt that we all enjoy the bubbles. The three of us brainstormed regarding the fork and came up with a plan. Shortly thereafter, they had to depart for other tasks.

I headed over to the gym, talking to my mom on the way who was impressed by how bubbly made things better for my mood AND plan. Once at the gym, I realized I wasn't super motivated to workout and decided to do a quick recon for another friend who usually could be found at the gym around that time. And, luckily, I found not one but two friends as soon as I stepped out of the locker room. We soon reconvened at the bar, discussing my fork, along with other topics. Not long after, I was lucky enough to have a fifth friend join us. And, in abundance of support, a sixth friend offered me her ear and counsel on Sunday when she gets back in town.

Long story short: my friends are awesome especially when life is less so.

No comments:

Post a Comment