Saturday, February 13, 2010

Civilian Status.

Last night, I attended an event at the restaurant at Neiman Marcus, which was essentially a book signing for Bethenny Frankel, a Real Housewife of New York. I got there about an hour late -- I had to go to happy hour first -- which was perfect timing. It was just in time to hear the tail end of Bethenny's talk. I haven't watched all of the Real Housewives series on Bravo, but I have seen both New York and New Jersey. Bethenny struck me on the show and the event as a witty and motivated person. However, I really hate her tagline for her products, books, etc: Skinnygirl. Thankfully, they were serving bubbles in addition to her skinnygirl margarita.

The book signing was hosted by one of the social magazines here. As a result, the place was full of socialite-types, PR girls, and writers and editors for various publications around the city. One of the PR girls was the host of a Halloween party the Spice Girls attended. We chatted most of the event, during the course of which, she described me as a civilian. I am going to adopt that terminology for whenever you throw a poor little lamb into the wolves of a certain industry. I always feel badly when you bring a civilian into a room of lawyers. That said, being a civilian in a room full of socialites and that industry is nothing but comedy. You will always find some beautiful clothes and some curiously timeless faces. And, if you're lucky enough to have friends who know the backstories behind the various people, its a fun time.

No comments:

Post a Comment