Saturday, November 12, 2011

Brave New World.

For the past year or so, I have been bugging my mom to get a phone that she would use to at least accept text messages. My parents are not cell phone users. They have them in case of emergency, travel and meeting me at the airport, as far as I can tell. My dad has the razr that was popular when I was in law school eight years ago and my mom has a cell phone that I'm pretty sure dates back to probably ten years ago. When I had a phone without a qwerty keyboard, I hated texting too. Such a pain in the ass to have to hit the 5, four times to get an L. So, I made it my mission to go get my mom a phone with a qwerty keyboard.

Yesterday, mom was having a good afternoon. We got lottery tickets, went out to lunch (a first since pre-surgery), and then went to Best Buy. There, she astounded me by not only picking a new phone but picking a smart phone. After traveling with my brother and I, she came to realize how useful having a smart phone can be in terms of maps and google. Believe it, I could not.

As she said, she has dipped her foot in the waters of the 21st century now. She isn't jumping in the deep end with all the other technological possibilities but no need for that. And, luckily, I have all weekend to give her lessons on how to use her phone. But, so far, so good. She has sent texts, taken a picture, sent it, and can use her phone as a phone, both taking and making calls. I can feel my life getting easier already!

No comments:

Post a Comment