Sunday, August 29, 2010

Sunday in Three Parts.

While today felt like three distinctly different days there was one piece of continuity: I was sweating essentially all day.

Part One: Melissa did the Chicago Triathlon today. Her mom and I went down to the lake to cheer her on at 6 am. We saw her during her swim and then again at the finish. She did really well overall. Especially considering it was 91 today. We were hot and sweaty just walking around and cheering, much less actually doing the triathlon. However, she did so much so that it inspired me. I've decided to do a race next year. Its unlikely that I will do a triathlon unless something magical happens with my knees, but I am planning to do a 5K open water swim next year. A plus to a swim race: no sweat.

Part Two: A friend gave me tickets to Jenner's Sox box. Today's game was against the Yankees and before the game, the Sox retired Frank Thomas' jersey. I like baseball games if the weather is perfect or if I'm in a box. It was a really nice time. Unfortunately, the Sox lost on a bad play. We took the train home and it was almost as though we were in Tokyo with the people-pushers with the number of people that packed onto that train. Outside of the last twenty minutes, where there was no breeze in the box and I was dripping sweat within two minutes of being on the train, Part Two was delightful. Although, I have learned I don't much enjoy remove-the-pitcher conferences or playing base-check.

Part Three: It was Melissa's mom's birthday today. To celebrate, we along with a fourth friend went to Table 52. Since the move, Table 52 is now a walkable neighborhood restaurant for me. Of course, it was still so warm, that the six block walk had me glistening with sweat once again. It was totally worth the walk though. Our fourth friend is friends with Chef Art (Smith) and he went above and beyond, way way out of his way to make our meal delightful. Between what we actually ordered and what they sent to us, I think we tasted at least half of the menu. And, Chef Art came over and sat down with us briefly, even introducing us to his new husband. And, while sweaty, the walk back home was much needed after such a decadent dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment