Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Shenanigans.

Thursday night. A too-quiet night at the Whiskey. Trying to determine where to go next. Division Street is on the way home. Shenanigans? No. Have you ever been there? No. How can you say no if you've never been there? Just no.

I don't know why I disliked the idea of Shenanigans as a gut reaction. Maybe its Super Troopers. Whatever the reason, I should have trusted my gut. And when I ignored my gut, I should have taken the sign out front as a warning. From here on out, I don't enter places that have this on the front door:


Since Thursday, whenever I've told this story, the immediate reaction to Shenanigans is either (1) wow, I haven't been there since college with a fake id; or (2) been there, don't remember it. I am now category (3): been there, will never forget it.

On the plus side for Shenanigans: they have fun music, including rap from the early 90s. It was another one of those moments where I surprised myself to learn that I knew essentially every word to Rumpshaker, Let's Talk About Sex, and the like. Additionally, the service is pretty good.

On the minus side: it is just a nasty bar. There are stripper poles. There are girls using them. The floor is absolutely disgusting. I know this because I became intimately acquainted with it when I slipped and fell on the wet floor, hitting my chin and cracking my front tooth. It was a bad set of circumstances between a wet wooden floor and wooden soled shoes but still. I ended up looking like this:


After confirming that I did break my tooth, like a wounded animal, I bolted out of there. A trip to CVS, a wasted trip to the ER (pack of lies about having an emergency dentist despite having what appears to be a dental chair), and a referral to the best dentists ever, I was back to appearing normal. I have to thank Melissa for two things here: (1) her painfully earned dental knowledge. If you ever have a dental injury, she is the go-to girl; and (2) talking me out of going to work pre-dentist. I may not see anyone during the day generally but as she gently pointed out, I looked country and that's just a no.

A three-quarter crown in two weeks will make it like it never happened. If only it didn't. Go figure but chipping a tooth is a real buzz kill for an evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment