Monday, July 12, 2010

Plus or Minus.

My dear brother has never been great with numbers in a variety of contexts.

He has a degree in finance but until relatively recently, all he
seemed to understand was financing. And, with eight credit cards at
his high point, he certainly put that knowledge into practice.

That problem with numbers also translates to dates and ages. One year,
he lamented to me the fact that he would be turning thirty. Which, he
would be. Just not for another year and a month, not the month he
thought.

This year, he (along with his boyfriend and his boyfriend's sister)
was convinced that the Fourth was his ten year anniversary. Generally,
I have a terrible memory and rely on my brother to fill in the blanks.
But, he is untrustworthy with numbers as you can see. On this
particular number, I have an extremely precise and clear memory.
Actually, two memories but both are from the same summer. In June, I
accidentally outed him. In August, I helped move him and his boyfriend
into a new apartment. Both happened the summer before law school, or,
2001. I felt a little badly bursting his anniversary bubble at first.
But now, I decided that I just gave him the gift of time -- AND
getting to celebrate it twice.

(In a nutshell, in case you're wondering, I outed him -- due to my own
persistence and his own bad lying -- on a family road trip after
noticing something odd at his graduation gift to me, a Dave Matthews
Band concert. I remember helping him move because not three days
later I moved too -- to Texas to start law school.)

No comments:

Post a Comment