Saturday, July 17, 2010

Childish.

There is something to be said for childlike pleasures. This afternoon I indulged in quite a few. Signs of my temporary regression:

First sign: my hair. I put a braid in like a little kid. When I was little, my mom would french braid my hair so tightly that it would bring tears to my eyes as she did it. It was the only way to keep my fine hair tidy. Today, I only french braided a little section in the front and pony tailed the rest, but it still made me feel like a kid.

Second sign: I took a nap. Not unusual really for me on a Saturday but kids are the ones who have to go down for a nap. I used to hate them. In fact, once when I was supposed to be napping, I took a fingernail scissors to my hair, cutting off all of my natural curls. My dad cried. I've never had curls again. Serves me right. Now, I love and treasure the nap.

Third sign: I bought root beer. It was always a special treat when I was young. We'd drive 45 minutes to the closest A&W drive-in for a root beer float. Of course, this time, I bought diet root beer and threw in a splash of vanilla vodka but whatever.

Fourth -- and final -- sign. As I was walking home, I stopped to play on the swings. Ever since I was little, swinging has always, always made me feel happy. No matter what my mood is, swinging is always a carefree bit of fun. Just seeing swings makes me feel happier. Today, I was a total trendsetter. All the kids (literally, not how I usually refer to new lawyers) wanted to swing once I started.

No comments:

Post a Comment