Thursday, May 13, 2010

Top Three.

Part of this is my own fault due to personality, but the construction and design process are killing me. I scheduled my move for May 21 after repeated assurance that my place would be done by mid-May. While mid-May translates to May 15 to me, I decided to allow for some slippage in the schedule and added a week. Despite this clear deadline, it seems like EVERYTHING is taking longer and no one is motivated.

Top Three Frustrations:

1. Tile. Unbeknownst to me -- but well-known to the rest of the world, particularly the design world -- tile generally has anywhere between a three and six week wait time between order and delivery. From the outset, re-tiling my bathroom was part of my design plans. Outset = March 24 or not quite eight weeks from my scheduled move. And yet, the designer didn't turn to selecting tile until last weekend. Every sample was at least a four week wait. I thought I was clear that speed was my most important factor in selecting tile at this point because I don't want to live through construction. And yet, as of yesterday when demo began on my bathroom -- all tile now removed and problems uncovered -- I STILL don't have tile chosen and was getting questions as to whether I wanted to order stuff that would take six weeks. Who woulda thunk it, but apparently I'm being too nice about this.



2. Unforeseen problems. First, as demo began on my kitchen on Monday, the contractor realized that part of the wall I planned to remove entirely contained a concrete structural support column. Well, hell. While the revised plan is still an improvement over what was there, its not nearly as good and my planned island might end up looking silly. Hopefully, not but I have some concerns. Second, as demo began on my bathroom, they realized that the valves for both my tub and sink were leaking. Things that were not uncovered during the inspection. Thankfully, plumbing is the responsibility of the condo association. My relatively high monthly assessment is not for naught.



3. General lack of speed. I do not understand why, when I select something, it takes upwards of a week for the items to actually be ordered. Clearly, people who do not have to live without lighting fixtures, or furniture, or countertops are not nearly as motivated as those of us who do. And, my failure of comprehension is furthered by the fact that I -- not to be immodest -- exceed at getting things done. I can conceirge things and orchestrate with the best of them. At this point, I'm pretty sure that my designer and her staff hate me because I am emailing them daily with reminders, prompts and questions.

Despite these frustrations, I already love the work product, even if the process isn't too my liking. And, hopefully, come sometime in June, my home will be beautiful and I will be super happy with my decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment