Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Planning.

I've been to a few galas in my time. Not a lot -- work prom, the Arthritis Foundation's event, and a few others -- but a few. For the past few years, faux-pas-be-damned, I've worn the same dress to all of them. I strongly believe that if you're going to spend any significant amount of money on anything but particularly clothes, you need to use it and get your money's worth. I almost always mentally amortize a significant purchase before committing to it. At this point, my dress is a sub-$100 dress, which I would definitely pay without even a second thought for it.

But I digress.

My point of the preceding paragraphs is that I've been to enough of these events that I'm a pretty good planning committee member. This year, after getting a touch burned out with my usual philanthropic endeavor, I agreed to help Heather plan the Cystic Fibrosis Breath of Life Gala.

I attended my first planning meeting tonight. And, sadly, I could not contain myself. When they suggested a theme, e.g. Roaring 20's costume party, I reflexively, and loudly, said no. You just can't get people to pay a $300 ticket for a theme party. When they suggested a cash bar after a certain hour, my immediate response was "absolutely not." Once those ideas were out of the way, we came up with a lot of great ideas for fundraising and ways to make the gala an actually fun event. Even without free drinks.

Unrelated: I'm proud of myself and relieved -- I just KNEW I had something other than my house to talk about!

No comments:

Post a Comment