Thursday, May 13, 2010

Good as Gold.


My new neighborhood is the Gold Coast. I am entirely biased but I think my new street is likely the prettiest in the whole city. My street is nicely treed, filled with huge historic mansions, flowers everywhere, not three blocks from the lake. It seems like a very safe and idyllic place in which I look forward to living.

For the first time, I officially joined a neighborhood association. Last night was the Gold Coast Neighbors Association's annual Spring Fling ("As Good as Gold" was the theme) held at the Chicago Racquet Club. I attended along with my friends and neighbors, Melissa, Laura and Andrea. The venue was beautiful, the food tasty, the drinks flowing, and the crowd . . . interesting. We brought the median age, and no doubt income, down significantly. For the most part, everyone we met was extremely nice and outgoing. My favorite part was the live auction, although I'm quite disappointed that I did not win the mega-raffle's scooter.

While the neighborhood is very safe, the buildings like to remind their residents that there can be crime in the Gold Coast and to stay alert. The Gold Coast Neighbors Association takes its crime prevention seriously. Melissa had left her credit card on the raffle table when she bought a ticket. Not 45 minutes later, she realized her mistake and went back to get it. They had already called the company to cancel it. It was proactive, efficient, impressive and awful at once. I'm not sure why they didn't try to find her first -- either by making an announcement or at her address, as they definitely know where she lives -- but they surely avoided any potential credit card fraud.

No comments:

Post a Comment