Saturday, May 26, 2012

Flowered.

Today was M and my annual trip to Gethesmane Gardens.  In prior years, we have gone in the afternoon, when it was both hot and packed with people.  Of course, to make up for that, we always rewarded ourselves with a McDonald's ice cream cone.  This year, we decided to sacrifice the cone in favor of getting the worm instead.

Gethesmane does not officially open until 9:00 am.  Being early birds, we arrived at about 8:45 and there were already people in line checking out.  As our third trip, this time we had a better idea of what works for our little balconies.  For me, that meant one 40 quart bag of soil, and about three trays worth of both single and double impatiens and two other types of flowers that I've already forgotten their name.  (I always like to jokingly blame my mother for my flower ignorance -- since she knows flowers and I don't, I tell her she failed me as a mother.  In response, she sent me a flower guide last year.  Sadly, now I just have me to blame.  Although to be fair to me, she accidentally sent a tropical flower guide and say what you will about Chicago weather, it is not tropical.)

I love going to Gethesmane but I always get overwhelmed.  There are just so many pretty flowers.  We have learned that the best way to go is to pick a color theme and roll with it.  M went with white and coral.  I have a purple/pink/red/white thing going (which I recognize in writing it seems more like indecision than a theme).  Our cart was beautiful:
I like to think we gave other carts a complex.
I like everything about flower planting day except for carrying it all upstairs.  And, cleaning up my mess later as I always make a huge mess with the soil.  But, I think it is totally worth it:


Looky, there is a lake two blocks away.

It may be almost summer but it is also that fifth season: construction.
Plus, because I'm on the lowest floor, I feel an obligation of sorts to make my balcony pretty for the people walking by on the street.  Building pride and all for our red-headed stepchild of a building on an otherwise beautiful street.

No comments:

Post a Comment