Sunday, August 21, 2011

Spoiled.

This weekend is one of my favorites of the summer -- Air & Water Show weekend. There are plenty of people who object to the show for various reasons: waste of fuel; blatant military recruiting; first timers think the practice runs during the week are Chicago under attack; etc. I can understand all of these objections but I have trouble understanding that even those with logical objections can hate it because it is just. so. cool. The things pilots can do are very impressive. By all rights, I should be a hater for an "etc." reason -- my neighborhood is essentially the Show's center point and therefore overrun all weekend. But, I'm not. I'm an unabashed fan.

So, when I woke up Saturday morning and saw overcast skies, I was a tad concerned. When I was getting ready to leave the gym and saw the downpour (wind, lightening and thunder included), I was sad and not just because I had to ride my bike home in it. But, by 1:30, the rain cleared out and the planes were flying.

I am so spoiled sometimes. From my own balcony, I can see some of the maneuvers. But, my friends, L & A, have a fantastic, unobstructed view from their balconies and are always generous enough to invite us over to watch. Not only that, they are fantastic hosts. One year, there was mini cotton candy. This year, it was catered by Burrito Beach. Delicious food and a fantastic view? Cannot ask for anything more.

Or can you? As it happened, I ended up with all of the tickets to my firm's White Sox Box for last night's game. So, we just moved the Air & Water party down to U.S. Cellular Field. For some people, it was their first time in a box. For the rest of us, it was just nice to be in a box with nothing but our friends. Hot dogs, drinks, snacks, dessert cart, all topped off by a Sox win and great fireworks show? Who would have thought that a day that started off so ominously, with most of us anticipating that the day's activities would be rained out would end up so lovely. Just super.

And, spoiled.

No comments:

Post a Comment