Monday, December 13, 2010

Chugga Chugga

Choo-Choo!

Since moving to my new place, part of my Saturday involves breakfast at Butch McGuire's. A delicious egg sandwich with mimosas to wash it down plays an integral role in a perfect Saturday. While I had heard that McGuire's got festive for the holidays, only recently did I learn what that entailed. Their entire ceiling is covered in multi-colored Christmas lights with large ornaments sprinkled throughout. There are two train tracks that run along the ceiling in each room. At this point in December, the place is so like Christmas threw up in there -- tacky, overwhelming, and incredibly wonderful.

When I was little, my dad had a fairly extensive train set that I used to love. And, every Christmas, my parents set up a small train around the tree, primarily to keep the cats from stealing any low-hanging ornaments but also because my dad likes trains. So, I have a fondness for a good train.

Imagine my delight when we learned that we could actually sponsor a train car at McGuire's. For the cost of the car and artwork, along with a donation to Mercy Homes, Melissa and I will have our very own train car circling Butch McGuire's through the Super Bowl. AND, the car is ours in perpetuity and will continue to run each season, so long as we make the charitable donation.

After much brainstorming, the development of a creative team, several emails and phone calls, we decided on our car. While we had planned on an unveiling ceremony, complete with engineer caps, schedules did not permit. But, since it began running, I've been by to see it -- and enjoy the holiday mimosa (a seasonal twist, substituting cranberry for orange juice) -- no fewer than four times. Basking in its holiday cheer, if you will. Santa may have Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night but we will have for years to come:

Merry Mimosas! Festively, Melissa and Laura!

No comments:

Post a Comment