Monday, January 14, 2013

Tea Party.


I have lived in my place for almost three years.  And yet, up until yesterday, I had never met one of my next door neighbors.  My other next door neighbor is roughly my age and a really nice girl.  She works from home a lot so not only knows my other neighbor but most of the people in the building.  She decided it would be a good idea to have tea with Wilma so that we could meet.  As it turns out, it was Wilma's 93rd birthday over the weekend so the tea party became a bit of a birthday party as well.

And, would you believe that a tea party for a 93 year old woman was actually a good time?  While she is on oxygen and has some other medical issues, she is mentally sharp.  In fact, she still goes to work for a few hours a day.  And, she has lived in the building since it was built (she actually worked for the company that built it) so knows EVERYTHING.

The tea party quickly turned into finding out what's the T regarding the building.  Like which neighbor had decorated her portion of the common hallway with giant paintings of her and her husband doing various activities.  And, which neighbor allegedly has hookers make house calls.  And, correcting our misunderstanding about which neighbor has a decades long affair with one of the most prominent attorneys in Chicago.   I realized I really don't spend a lot of time at home because I had no idea who most of the people discussed were.  But, I am also glad that I am friendly with these founts of gossipy knowledge!

It's not a big building but clearly, never a dull moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment