Wednesday, December 26, 2012

The Nutcracker.

As a little kid, I went to the Nutcracker every year.  However, after we left Wisconsin, I did not make it to the Nutcracker again for over 20 years.  A few years ago, my mom got tickets but a blizzard got in my way of returning in time.  This year, we tried again.  Again, the weather threatened but I was able to thread the needle and get to Colorado in time for both the Nutcracker and Christmas.

This year, my mom and I headed down to the Denver arts complex early.  The show was at a weird time -- 6:30 on Friday night.  We decided to go have drinks and apps at a bar in the area early and then go to the ballet.  Our plan was delightful.  We had a couple of glasses of bubbly and some delicious salads before heading to the theater.  While we were at the restaurant, we could not help but notice all these little girls in their Christmas dresses, with a happy mother and a less-than-thrilled looking father.  Mom and I were sitting at the bar when we heard an order for a double Makers Mark be placed by a server -- no doubt for a dad who was not looking forward to the ballet.  Mom joked with the bartender that she too was taking her little girl to the ballet.


The ballet itself was great.  It was funnier and fester than I remember -- but as festive as ever.  It was a great start to our Christmas festivities.

No comments:

Post a Comment