Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Trying.


It is the eve of my first out of town trial.  And, so far, it has been a mix of the expected and unexpected.

Expected:

  • Wilmington, Delaware is as scenic as ever for me.  And, by that I mean, I have stayed at the same hotel, walked across the same square, and sat in the same conference rooms that I have seen on every other (both) trip(s) I've made here;
  • Long hours.  Average is a steady 14 hours per day so far this week;
  • The partner I work with on this is as reasonable, efficient, pleasant and generally nice to be around as ever; and, 
  • My health has suffered greatly.  I have not been working out (I got to the gym for exactly 20 minutes of cardio this morning and that has been a high for the week). There is a snack table that I have to walk by at least twenty times per day and I CANNOT NOT STOP at that snack table, even if it is just for a spark-in-the-dark lifesaver.  I'm mainlining sugar and caffeine.
Unexpected:
  • Not so much a team spirit feeling.  Nary a go-team has been uttered (by anyone other than me at least);
  • No fire drills (so far).  While the hours have been long, it hasn't been super stressful.  Just a lot to do but everything has been under control at least for the tasks for which my little team has been responsible; and,
  • The catered meals have not included pizza.  Most people appreciate our host firm's efforts to think outside the group meal box but I'd much rather pull a slice out of the pizza box.
Wish us luck tomorrow and Friday.  GO TEAM!

No comments:

Post a Comment