Friday, July 13, 2012

Puppy Time!

I took advantage of last week's holiday lull to head back to Colorado to visit my family and get some puppy time.

My "puppy" is almost nine.  I had forgotten just how sharp those little puppy teeth are.  Just how funny puppies are when they get excited and tumble over themselves.  And, just how cute they are.
Chewing on something appropriate while trying to look innocent.
I thought Belle was great.  Unfortunately, Shelby does not yet agree.  I can't say I blame her -- she is bald in spots because of Belle's constant chewing (and Shelby is a well-trained dog who knows better than to bite another, even if the other dog is gnawing on her).  Similarly, Sam, one of my mom's cats, is none-too-pleased with Belle and her ongoing ambushes that result in pouncing, swatting, and hissing.  
Temporary pet detente between Shelby, Sam and Belle.
Belle is a smart little doglet.  Hopefully, sooner rather than later, she will decide she wants to pay attention when my parents try to train her so she is a smart, well-behaved little doglet.  My mom has trained plenty of dogs in her time.  But, I received "51 Puppy Tricks" as a puppy time present and shared it with my mom.  I'm pretty sure she will be teaching the new dog new tricks, including teaching Belle to ring a bell when she needs to go outside.  

One other thing that I forgot about puppies: just how fast they become dogs.  Not a week later since I saw her, my mom sent me this picture:


In part, it is the angle and perspective but I already think she looks more like a small dog than a puppy.  Pretty soon she will no longer fit in her favorite hiding place:

No comments:

Post a Comment