Saturday, February 18, 2012

Mile-stones.

This morning I met two milestones in my just f-ing do it plan of running:

1) I ran three miles. That's a lifetime personal best. Yes, that's kind of sad but what can I say? I'm not a runner.

2) I ran for more than 30 minutes straight. As if there was ever any doubt, I'm slow. I'm more of a slow-and-steady finishes the race kind of girl than wins the race.

Just yesterday, one of my favorite trainers at my gym sent me this:

That's David Goggins. He is ridiculous. Absolutely an incredible athlete. He is a SEAL who has completed Ranger school (maybe just for fun, I'm not entirely clear). He does ultramarathons (and ultra races generally) to raise money for families of fallen soldiers. He claims that he hates to run (bike and swim, too). He says he does it because of that. He went from being a 290 pound power lifter to a 190 pound runner in less than three months. He ran his first ultramarathon without ever running a marathon, breaking bones in his feet and suffering kidney damage in the process. He sleeps less than fours per night.

Anyway, I sent a story about him to M yesterday in case she ever needed inspiration to finish a workout. It ended up guilting her into doing a swim workout she didn't want to do. This morning, even though it was a mere three miles, I invoked Goggins to keep on keepin'-on. It is definitely mind over matter. I hate running. It is awful. But I can do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment