Monday, October 10, 2011

No (e)Harm, No Foul.

A couple weeks ago, I gave in and joined eHarmony. The past couple years proved to me that I need help meeting men. Maybe up until five years ago or so, I think there was a stigma attached to online dating. At this point though, even my 76 year old grandmother thought it just makes sense, given the realities of being a younger professional. If you didn't meet your spouse in college or grad school, it is just not easy to meet eligible people when you work (more than) full time. But I digress and will stop being defensive.

Within a couple days, I progressed through the stages of "guided communication" with a guy. On the fourth stage -- email communication (which comes with a full page warning to the extent of "you're on your own, kids . . . don't forget, once you give out your number or address, you can't get it back") -- he asked if I wanted to get a cup of coffee or glass of wine sometime. Since I didn't join for a pen pal, I quickly agreed. He gave me four options of where to meet, all of which were good.

At 8:30 on a Thursday night, I met him for drinks at NoMi. I love that place, as an aside. Drinks went well. I was nervous, which was obvious by the fact that he advised me to catch up with him and drink my drink quickly. Solid advice. After that, conversation was pretty easy and interesting. He asked if I wanted to go out to dinner. Sure, sounds good. He wanted to drive me home because he felt uncomfortable knowing I would be walking alone. Nice touch.

That Sunday, we went to Perennial. This time, he was nervous and I wasn't. Again, nice time had, capped off with drinks at the Pump Room. Because of busy and uncertain schedules, tentative plans were made for a third date. We agreed to drinks on Wednesday night. That afternoon, he had to cancel. No big deal, I understand having a busy week. He wanted to get together over the weekend but I had a friend in town so I was not available until Sunday. He seemed slightly irritated by that but agreed to Sunday for dinner. On Friday, we had a brief, friendly text exchange. On Sunday, I sent him a text asking about his weekend, and was going to confirm dinner.

But, he never responded.

I was surprised by that. Further proof that I do not understand men. As others have pointed out, I've made back my membership fee from just two dates -- not my fault he choose expensive places. So, no eHarm, no foul.

No comments:

Post a Comment