Sunday, February 6, 2011

Year of the Rabbit!


Thanks to O, for the second straight year I celebrated Chinese New Year with a super fun dinner in Chinatown. Last year, we resolved that we were going to try the non-Western menu this year. That menu included abalone and shark fin soup, among other delicious dishes. While we all thought that (a) shark fin soup was illegal and (b) we would receive imitation shark fin, we were wrong on both counts. I didn't love the soup -- too strongly fishy for me -- but fun to try. Even though I knew that the dinner was a marathon and not a sprint, trying to pace myself, I still was so full that I couldn't really eat a couple of the last courses. But, what I did eat was a nice spicy variety.

Everyone loves this dinner so much that people make dietary exception. Two people have instituted Chinese new year exceptions that allow them to eat meat and try everything served. It's a great combination of people, food, fun and a real character of a server.

One tangentially related lesson we learned: no cabs in Chinatown. Not a problem though: the red line took us home. Fitting given the importance of red in Chinese culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment