Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Flirty Girl.

Flirty Girl Fitness is a gym in the West Loop specializing in offering classes like Video Vixen, Pole Dancing, Bikini Boot Camp, Doggie Style Yoga, and Hula Hoop-la. I think Chicago is its second location and the brand has expanded into fitness dvd's, which you may occasionally see late at night.

After attending a bachlorette party that involved a pole dancing class, O invited girls to take a pole dancing class and then head out for non-pole dancing as part of her birthday celebration. If it had not been her birthday, I'm not sure I would have gone. Not because I'm opposed to pole dancing as an activity or profession but because I was not sure that I was physically capable of doing the class given my knees.

As it turns out, I wasn't. But, it was nonetheless fun to watch my friends. Some of them are really quite good at the spins and tricks. Always good to have a backup plan.

Sure, there were some women at the class who were clearly there practicing for work. And, they were incredible. Pole dancing is a real skill. These women had all body types, including some that defied belief that they would have the upper body strength to climb the pole or the abs to pull themselves back upright. They were hanging from the pole, upside down, dropping six feet using nothing but their legs to stop their fall. At the end of the class, the instructor (who was great) clearly decided to just show them how it was done after they had been impressing us rookies. I don't know what the instructor's background is but it would almost be a pity if she doesn't pole dance professionally because even I would consider paying money to see the tricks she can do. (No stripping involved in this class, mind you.) Just amazing.

After the class, we went out for drinks and dancing. No poles involved but I dare say some of the non-pole moves got incorporated into some of the dancing last night. The only negative from Flirty Girl is that now some of my girls have stripper injuries in the form of big bruises on their arms and legs. Fun to explain that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment